Nürnberg Bratwurst (#2401)
German Pork Sausage
Share This Recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds Pork Shoulder
- 1 1/2 pounds Veal
- 1 pound Bacon
- 4 tsp Salt
- 2 tablespoons White Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Caraway Seeds whole
- 1 tsp Mace
- 1/2 tsp Citric Acid or ascorbic acid (vit. c) optional
- Cut the pork shoulder, veal and bacon into pieces that will fit into your grinder; put them in the freezer and allow to partially freeze.
- Grind the meats through the small plate of your grinder, keep as cold as possible. Use a couple of ice cubes to help push all the meat through the grinder.
- Mix the salt, pepper, caraway seed, mace and citric acid (if using) together in a small bowl then sprinkle over the ground meats. Mix well for several minutes at low setting of a stand mixer.
- Stuff into hog casing and tie into 8 inch lengths.
- To cook bring a pot of water to a boil, then reduce heat to 170 degrees f. Add the sausages and cook for 15 minutes.
- Grill until browned and well marked over medium-high heat.
- Refrigerate a maximum of 4 days or better, vacuum pack and freeze for up to 6 months.