Low Fat Quiche Lorraine (#2322)
French Low Fat
Share This Recipe
- 4 oz Bacon 4 slices, cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons Water iced
- 1 Tbsp Brown Mustard or dijon
- 5 large Eggs
- 1/3 cup Milk whole fat
- 1 1/3 cups Buttermilk
- 4 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Swiss Cheese or Gruyère, grated
- It may seem odd to start a reduced fat recipe with bacon and then use whole milk, not to mention using the bacon fat int he crust... compared to a traditional quiche lorraine that uses both bacon, cream and a high-fat buttery crust we keep the flavor while shedding significant amounts of fat.
- Cook the bacon pieces in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate, set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon fat and discard the remaining fat.
- Add flour, whole wheat flour, 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese, sugar, salt and black pepper to a food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Add the oil and the reserved 1 tablespoon of bacon fat and pulse just enough until the mixture resembles a coarse meal, about 10 to 14 pulses.
- Add ice water and process just until the dough begins to clump together, about 5 seconds.
- Transfer the dough to the quiche pan (or pie plate) and press into an even layer on the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Cover with cling film and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Set your oven rack to the lowest position and preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Spray a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray and press the oiled side against the quiche crust. Fill with pie weights (or beans) and bake until the edges just begin to brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven, remove the foil and weight, sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and return to the oven for another 5 to 8 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Spread with 1 tablespoon of mustard if desired.
- Prepare the filling:
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and cornstarch, whisk in the milk, buttermilk, salt and black pepper until smooth.
- Stir in the reserved bacon and swiss cheese. Transfer the filling to the prepare quiche shell.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the center of the quiche is set.
- Remove and let the quiche cool for at least 15 minutes on a wire rack.