Date Pinwheel Cookies (Healthier Version) (#2273)
Share This Recipe
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter melted
- 2 tablespoons Applesauce unsweetened
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar dark, firmly packed
- 1 large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 8 oz Dates chopped, whole, pitted
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 cup Pecans finely chopped
- Whisk together canola oil, melted butter, applesauce, sugar and egg in a medium bowl until well blended.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon until well mixed.
- Make a well in center, pour liquid mixture into flour mixture.
- Stir until just moistened and incorporated.
- Shape dough into a ball. (dough will be stiff)
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface, roll into a 16- x 8-inch rectangle.
- Spread filling over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch edge on all sides.
- Starting at long side, carefully roll dough tightly, jellyroll fashion; pinch seam and ends of roll to seal.
- Wrap dough in wax paper or plastic wrap, and chill at least 1 hour.
- Unwrap roll, and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° f (180° c) for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Combine dates, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove filling from heat, and stir in pecans until well mixed.
- Let cool completely.
- Makes about 3 dozen.