100% Whole Wheat Pita Bread (#2262)
Share This Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Tbsp Honey or sugar
- 1/2 cup Water luck warm
- 3 cups Whole Wheat Flour or more as needed
- 1 1/3 cups Water or as needed
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt optional
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder or dried herbs, or mixture, optional
- Add yeast and honey to warm water in a medium-size bowl; let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Combine four, water, olive oil and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour yeast mixture into center and stir until dough can be gathered into a ball.
- Knead dough on floured board until smooth.
- Place dough in a large, lighty oiled bowl.
- Cover with a damp towel and place in a dry, draft-free place until dough had doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough; place on lightly floured board.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Shape into circles and place on nonstick cookie sheets.
- Allow to rest, covered with damp towel for 30 minutes.
- On lightly floured board, roll out each piece of dough to a circle, about 6 inches in diameter.
- Place on non-stick cookie sheets; loosely covered by kitchen towels, let stand for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 f.
- Just before you place the pan in the oven, flip each pita over on its other side.
- Bake on bottom rack oven for 5 minutes. You can bake 2 to 3 pita breads on one baking sheet.
- Remove pitas from baking sheets and let cool on wire rack.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- To serve, reheat wrapped in aluminum foil at 350° f (180° c) f for 10 minutes.