Oat Scones with Apple-Pear Butter (#2255)
Share This Recipe
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar packed
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 6 tablespoons Butter unsalted, cold cut into pieces
- 1 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Light Cream (Half&Half)
Apple Pear Butter
- 1/4 pound Dried Apple Slices
- 2 oz Dried Pears
- 2 cups Apple Juice unsweetened or pear juice
- 2 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp Allspice ground
- 1/2 tsp Cloves ground
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees; grease a baking sheet or line with parchment.
- Combine the flour and oats in the workbowl of a food processor and process until the oats are ground.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour mixture, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the butter with a fork or a heavy-duty electric mixer until hte mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and half and half.
- Add to the dry mixture and stir until a sticky dough is formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 6 times, just until the dough holds together.
- Pat the dough into a 3/4 inch thick round about 8 inches in diameter.
- Cut out the scones with a 2-inch biscuit cutter to make 12 to 14 smaller scones.
- Place the scones about 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until crusty and golden brown.
- Serve immediately, split in half and spread with apple-pear butter.
- To make apple-pear butter, combine the apples, pears, juice and spices in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the butter and cool.
- Purée in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Scrape into a springtop glass jar and refrigerate until needed.
- Makes about 2 cups, keeps for about 2 months.