20 Minute Penne Carbonara for Two (#2226)
Pastas Italian Main
Share This Recipe
- 2 oz Bacon 2 slices, chopped, or pancetta if you have it
- 4 oz Penne Pasta dry, whole-wheat or regular
- 1 large Eggs beaten
- 4 tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream or half and half for a lighter version
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino Cheese grated, or parmesan
- 1 Black Pepper freshly ground, to taste
- Cook the bacon until crispy (or pancetta until transparent), drain on paper toweling and set aside. If using pancetta don't drain the fat (there won't be as much and it's packed with flavor).
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta is salted water until al denté or to your preference. Drain and return to the pot. Reduce heat to as low as you can.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, cream and cheese. Season with fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Add the bacon to the pasta, stir and add the egg mixture while stirring constantly.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly.
- Keep the pasta moving in pot so that the eggs do not scramble. Be careful, super low heat is the key and cook just until thickened.
- Serve immediately. You may wish to reserve a small amount of bacon in the previous step for garnish along with a grinding or two of black pepper.
- There is no need to add salt, the bacon and cheese is sufficient seasoning.