Bread Machine Onion Bagels (#2225)
Share This Recipe
- 1 1/8 cups Water lukewarm
- 3 cups Bread Flour
- 3 1/3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Onions
- 3 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- Place specified amount of pre-soaked onions in the machine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Save the rest to sprinkle on top of the bagels before baking.
- Insert ingredients in bread machine.
- Remove the dough from the machine after the first knead - approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Place dough on a floured surface. Divide into 8 parts. Form balls, gently press thumb through center of ball and slowly stretch into bagel shape.
- While bagels rise, bring three quarts of water.
- Drop test dough (see hints below).
- Using a slotted spoon, drop 2 to 3 bagels into rapidly boiling water.
- Boil on each side for 1/2 minutes.
- Remove and cool on rack 1 minute, brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, if desired.
- Bake at 400 on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet on wire rack for a few minutes.
- Let cool on wire rack completely or serve warm.