Delicious Carrot and Tarragon Tart (#2209)
Desserts Snacks Tarts Main Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
For The Crust
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Tarragon Leaves fresh, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter cold, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Plain Yogurt low-fat
For The Filling:
- 1 cup Red Onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Carrots grated
- 2 tablespoons Sherry dry, divided
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese, Reduced-Fat shredded
- 1/2 cup Low-Fat Yogurt plain
- 1/2 cup Low-Fat Milk
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 tsp Tarragon Leaves freshly chopped, or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper freshly ground, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°f.
- To prepare crust:
- Coat a 9- to 10-inch tart pan with cooking spray.
- Place all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, tarragon and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse to combine, or you can use hand to mix them.
- Add butter one piece at a time, pulsing once or twice after each addition, until incorporated.
- Add 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup yogurt and pulse just until the dough starts to come together.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan, it will be crumbly, spread evenly and press firmly into the bottom and all the way up the sides to form a crust.
- Bake the crust until set but not browned, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- For the filling:
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and 1 tablespoon sherry (or rice vinegar) and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Spread mustard over the crust.
- Sprinkle with cheddar, then evenly spread the carrot mixture in the tart shell.
- Whisk 1/2 cup yogurt, milk, eggs, tarragon, the remaining 1 tablespoon sherry (or rice vinegar), 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and pour in the filling.
- Bake the tart until the filling is firm and the edges are golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm or chilled.