Sunomono or Japanese Noodle and Cucumber Salad (#2189)
Salads Asian Japanese Side Low Fat
Share This Recipe
- 6 oz Vermicelli Pasta noodles, dry
- 6 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 4 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Tamari Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds or 2 tablespoons
- 1 Cucumbers medium sized
- 2 Scallions, Spring Or Green Onions green, thinly sliced
- 1) cook the noodles in boiling water until just tender.
- Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Drain thoroughly, and transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- (my advice, store in water if not using right away)
- 2) add vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, salt, and sesame seeds.
- Mix well. Cover and chill until cold.
- (don't chill for too long or the noodles will stick together. I did this but was able to save it by adding more rice vinegar until the noodles separated again. It tasted great.)
- 3) peel and seed the cucumber. Cut into quarters lengthwise, then into thin pieces.
- If not serving right away, wrap the cucumber pieces in a plastic bag or plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- 4) to serve, divide the noodles amon 4 or 5 serving bowls.
- Top with a small handful of cucumber slices, a light sprinkling of sesame seeds, and, if desired, a few very thin slices of scallion greens.
- Serve cold.
- Everything except the cucumbers and toppings can be combined several days ahead of time.