Avgolemono Soup (#2180)
Pastas Soups Chicken
Share This Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Onions chopped
- 5 cups Stock chicken stock, plus 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Orzo Pasta or rice
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts skinless, diced
- 1 Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 Parsley Leaves fresh, for garnish
- 1 heat the olive oil in a medium pot and sauté the onions over medium-high heat until they are soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. While the onions are cooking, bring another pot of salted water to a boil and add the orzo or rice.
- 2 when the onions are ready, add the chicken stock and water and bring to a bare simmer. When the orzo or rice is nearly done — firm, but mostly cooked — drain the boiling water and add the pasta or rice to the chicken broth. Add the diced chicken breast to the pot. Let this cook 5 to 8 minutes, then taste the soup for salt.
- 3 beat the eggs in a bowl. Whisking constantly, add the lemon juice to the eggs. You will need to temper the eggs before you add the egg-lemon mixture to the soup. It takes both hands to do this. With one hand, whisk the egg-lemon mixture vigorously. With the other, slowly pour in a ladle's worth of hot broth. Do this at least twice, and you can add as many ladle's worth of broth as you want to the mixture.
- 4 turn the heat off the soup. Whisk the soup with one hand while you pour the hot egg-lemon mixture in with the other. Serve at once, garnished with parsley.
- *either rice or orzo pasta are fine here, so use whichever you prefer. And be sure to dice the chicken breast pretty small -- about 1/4 inch cubes -- so the meat cooks through in just a few minutes.
- *hank shaw of hunter angler gardener cook