Caramelized Apple Crepes (#2166)
Share This Recipe
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour or half whole wheat and half al-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 2/3 cups Milk or a bit more to reach the consistency of cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil or canola oil
- 3 Apples tart apples, peeled if needed, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Apple Juice or orange juice
- Make crepe batter:
- In a blender, pulse flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. Add eggs, milk and vanilla extract; blend until mixture is thick and no lumps remain.
- Pour into a bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Make filling:
- Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium heat until butter melts.
- Add apples. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until apples begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 3 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon and sauté until apples begin to brown, about 5 minutes longer.
- Pour in juice; cook 2 minutes longer, stirring. Keep warm on the low-heat.
- Whisk batter. If necessary, thin with an additional tablespoon of milk (batter should have consistency of thin cream).
- Mist a 10-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray and warm over medium heat.
- When pan is hot, ladle in 1/4 cup of batter. Quickly tilt skillet so batter coats surface in a thin layer.
- Cook until edges begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Lift edge of crepe and, using your fingers, carefully flip.
- Cook for 30 seconds; transfer to a plate. Cover with a clean kitchen towel.
- Repeat with remaining batter, misting skillet with cooking spray between crepes as necessary.
- Fold each crepe into quarters. Arrange 2 on each plate and top with a portion of apple mixture and a dollop of yogurt, if desired.