Hunter's Chicken Stew (#2163)
Stews Italian Chicken Main
Share This Recipe
- 2 tsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 cup Low Salt Chicken Broth
- 4 Italian Plum (Roma) Tomatoes italian plum, ripe
- 1 1/2 pounds Mushrooms button, or a variety of your favorite
- 1 cup Vermouth or dry white wine
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper fresh ground
- 1 tsp Salt diveded
- 4 pounds Chicken Thighs (Boneless & Skinless) about 12, skinned removed, trimmed
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 medium Onions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil divided
- 1 Tbsp Basil finely chopped, optional
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until almost soft, then add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes or so. Move onions to a plate and set aside.
- Place flour on a plate or shallow dish, season with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Brown the chicken in two batches using one tablespoon of oil each. About 2 minutes per side. Set the chicken aside on another plate.
- Add wine to the dutch oven and scrape up any brown bits.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes, broth, bay leaves, rosemary. Return the onions back to the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken along with any accumulated juice, and gently mix in.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low stirring once or twice for an hour.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and tent with aluminum foil.
- Bring the liquid in the pan to a boil and reduce until the mixture thickens to your preference.
- Return chicken, mix in and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with basil sprinkled on top.