Whole Wheat Herb Bread (#2160)
Share This Recipe
- 2/3 cup Water
- 2/3 cup Skim Milk
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 envelopes Active Dry Yeast
- 3 large Egg Whites lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Basil dried
- 1/2 tsp Oregano dried
- 4 cups Whole Wheat Flour up to 1/2 cup addittional flour
- 1) bring water to a boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in milk and sugar. When mixture cools to warm (110to 115), add yeast. Mix well; let stand 10 minutes or until bubbly.
- 2) blend egg whites, oil, salt, basil, and oregano in large bowl. Add yeast mixture; mix well. Add 4 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition, until dough is no longer sticky. Knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding enough of the extra 1/2 cup flour to make a smooth elastic dough. Form into a ball. Cover and let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- 3) preheat oven to 350*f. Punch dough down and place on lightly floured surface. Divide into 4 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Lightly spray baking sheet nonstick cooking spray or use bread baking stone lightly sprinkled with corn meal. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped with finger. Makes 4 round loaves, 6 slices per loaf for 24 servings