Christmas Pumpkin Pie with Rum (#2159)
Desserts Pies Healthy
Share This Recipe
For The Crust
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 tablespoons Water ice
For The Filling
- 2 large Eggs
- 16 oz Pumpkin puree, you can use canned puree too
- 12 oz Evaporated Milk low-fat or non-fat, 1 can
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 3 tablespoons Dark Rum or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ginger ground
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg ground
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- For the crust:
- Stir whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, 30 seconds to 3 minutes, it depends on how your stove's temperature.
- Then pour into a small bowl and let it cool.
- Stir in oil.
- Slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the flour mixture with a fork until the mixture is crumbly.
- Gradually stir in enough ice water, the dough can hold together.
- Then press the dough into a flattened disk.
- Place two overlapping lengths of plastic wrap on a work surface.
- Set the dough in the center and cover with two more sheets of plastic wrap.
- Roll the dough into a 13-inch circle.
- Remove the top sheets and invert the dough into a 9-inch deep pie pan.
- Remove the remaining wrap.
- Fold the edges under at the rim and crimp.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- For the filling:
- Position rack in lower third of oven, preheat to 350°f.
- Lightly whisk eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add pumpkin, evaporated milk, molasses and rum.
- Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt in a small bowl.
- Rub through a sieve into the pumpkin mixture and whisk until incorporated.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
- Bake the pie until the filling has set and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes, cover the edges with foil if they are browning too quickly.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or room temperature.