Green Beans Supreme (Modern Low Fat Version) (#2140)
Share This Recipe
- 1 pound Green Beans fresh, trimmed and cut as desired
- 1/2 pound Mushrooms fresh,
- 1/2 cup Ham chopped
- 1 dash Nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 1/2 cup Low-Fat Milk use more if you want a thinner sauce
- 1 large Eggs
- 1 Lemon juice of
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Salt And Black Pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the water if desired. Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Add the green beans, bring to a boil and time for 4 minutes. Drain and plunge the green beans into the ice water. This will stop the cooking to prevent possible overcooking and also lock in a beautiful green color.
- Mix one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of flour creating a roux over medium heat in a medium pot until bubbling. Cook for two minutes, then slowly add milk while stirring with a whisk, bring to a boil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a dash of nutmeg, add the parmesan cheese stir until incorporated and remove from heat.
- Heat a non-stick pan or skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Sauté the sliced mushrooms until most of their moisture has evaporated.
- Drain the green beans, add them to the skillet along with the mushrooms stirring to heat up.
- Add the creamy mixture from the pot.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and lemon juice.
- Stir ham into green beans and mushrooms and heat through.
- Mix egg mixture in and remove from heat.
- Taste, adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Top with extra cheese if desired.