Share This Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Butter or oil
- 1 pound Frozen Spinach thawed
- 3 green Scallions, Spring Or Green Onions sliced
- 3 tablespoons Parsley Leaves fresh, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dill Weed chopped fresh
- 1/2 pounds Feta Cheese crumbled
- 3 large Eggs lightly beaten
- 1 Salt And Black Pepper to taste
- 1 pound Phyllo (Filo) Pastry Sheets
- 1/2 pounds Butter melted
- In butter or oil, sauté green onion until soft. Meanwhile, squeeze out excess moisture from spinach and chop by hand or in food processor.
- Combine green onion with spinach and remaining filling ingredients in bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Lay out the phyllo sheets, covering them with waxed paper and a damp towel.
- Take out two sheets at a time and keep the rest covered.
- Brush melted butter onto top sheet of each pair.
- Cut each double-sheet crosswise into equal strips, about 2 1/2 inches wide.
- Place 1 teaspoon of the filling 1" from the end (nearest you) of each strip.
- Fold the strips back over the filling so the bottom edge meets the left edge, forming a right angle.
- Continue folding back at right angles to make a triangular shape.
- Place on baking sheets and keep covered until all are ready to bake.
- Bake in a 350° f (180° c) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning once.
- Note- spanakopitas may be frozen before baking. When ready to bake, separate while still frozen, spead on baking sheets, and bake as above, allowing an extra 10 minutes baking time.
- Source: The food of greece by vilma liacouras chantiles. Avenel books, new york.