Super Moist Tripple Strawberry Cake (#2120)
Share This Recipe
- 10 oz Strawberries fresh or frozen, 2 cups
- 3/4 cup 2% Milk or whole milk
- 6 large Egg Whites at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or whole wheat flour, or white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour or cake flour
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter chilled and cut into small chunks
- 4 tablespoons Grape Seed Oil or canola oil, walnut oil, olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Applesauce
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted Butter softened
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 10 oz Cream Cheese cut into pieces and softened
- 10 oz Strawberries fresh, hulled and thinly sliced, 2 cups
- To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c) degrees. Well butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans, and set aside.
- Add the strawberries into a small or medium saucepan, and cook over medium high heat until the strawberries are softened and the juice is released, about 10 to 15 minutes or longer.
- Place the mixture in a fine sieve or strainer over a bowl.
- Press the berries firmly until almost all the juice is squeezed out, and you should get about 3/4 cup juice. Reserve the strawberry solids for the frosting.
- Return the strawberry juice into the same sauce pan, and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring often.
- Cook until it becomes syrupy and has reduced to about 1/4 cup. Whisk in milk slowly until well combined, stir in the grape seed oil, applesauce, and vanilla extract until well mixed.
- While the strawberries are cooking, in a large mixing bowl, add the flours, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour mixture thoroughly until coarse crumbs form.
- Add the egg whites into a clean stand mixer, and whisk for about 2 to 3 minutes until foamy.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups sugar until egg whites-sugar mixture becomes think, glossy and ribbon like, about 5 minutes.
- Fold the flour-butter mixture into the egg whites mixture gently until evenly incorporated.
- Pour equal portion of batter into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden skewer or tooth pick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cake pans from the oven, and let the cakes cool in the pans on a wire rack completely, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Invert the cakes onto two large and flat plates.
- To make the frosting:
- Add the butter and sugar into the same stand mixer that has been cleaned.
- Beat at low speed until combined, about 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to medium high and beat until the mixture becomes pale and fluffy.
- Add the cream cheese into the mixture, one piece at a time, and keep beating until the mixture is thoroughly combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the reserved strawberry solids, and mix at low until evenly distributed, about 1 minute.
- To assemble the cake:
- Pat the washed fresh strawberries dry with paper towel.
- Spread 2/3 cup of frosting over 1 cooled cake.
- Arrange 1 1/2 cups strawberries in even layer over the frosting, and press the strawberries into the frosting.
- Cover the strawberries with another 2/3 cup of frosting.
- Place the other cake over the frosting, and spread the remaining frosting evenly over the top and the sides the the cake.
- Arrange the remaining strawberry slices on top.
- Serve. Or the cake can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Note: The cakes and the frosting can be made in advance, then the cake can be wrapped with a plastic wrap, then kept in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- The frosting can be stored into a air-tight container, then keep refrigerated for up to 2 days.