Israeli Couscous with Bacon and Peas (#2108)
Share This Recipe
- 3 slices Bacon cut into pieces
- 1 Shallots finely diced
- 1/2 Lemon wedges for garnish
- 1/2 cup Couscous Israeli
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 1/2 cups Water or more as needed
- 1/2 pound Green Peas
- 1 oz Parmesan Cheese or shaved
- 1 Salt to taste
- 1 Black Pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon (cut cross-wise into 1/2 inch pieces) over medium heat in a non-stick skillet until crispy.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate with paper toweling, reserving the bacon drippings in the pan.
- Add the finely diced shallots to the reserved bacon drippings and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the israeli couscous, stir to coat and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until the couscous is toasted. Increase heat to medium high.
- Add the water, thyme, 1/2 the juice of a lemon, salt if desired, bring to a boil, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the couscous is just about cooked through (about 5 minutes). You may need to add more water 1/8 cup at a time until you reach your preferred level of done-ness.
- Stir in the peas and 1/2 of the crispy bacon, cook for about 2 minutes. Taste, adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- For serving, garnish with the remaining bacon, shavings or grated parmesan cheese and lemon wedges.
- Serves 4 as a small side or 2 as a more hearty serving.