Stuffed Tomatoes with Goat Cheese, Olives and Fresh Oregano (#2102)
Share This Recipe
- 6 large Tomatoes firm and vine-ripe, about 8 ounces, 1/8-inch sliced off stem end, cored, and seeded
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt or as needed
- 3/4 cup Bread Crumbs homemade or store-bought
- 1 tsp Olive Oil plus 3 tablespoons
- 3 oz Goat (Chevre) Cheese crumbled
- 4 tablespoons Parsley Leaves freshly chopped
- 1 3/4 tsp Oregano freshly minced, or finely chopped
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Black Olives coarsely chopped
- 1 large Garlic Cloves freshly minced or pressed
- 1 Black Pepper freshly ground, to taste
- Trim the tops of the tomatoes off, core and seed them. A grapefruit spoon can be very helpful in this regard.
- Sprinkle inside of the tomatoes with kosher salt and place them upside down on the several layers of paper towels to drain for 30 to 45 minutes to remove moisture.
- Meanwhile, add the bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon olive oil, goat cheese, parsley leaves, oregano leaves, black olives, garlic, and black pepper to taste in a small bowl, mix until well combined, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375° f (190° c) degrees after arranging the rack just above the middle.
- Use rolled up paper towels to pat inside of each tomato dry.
- Add the stuffing into the tomatoes (about 4 tablespoons for each tomato), slightly mounded but compact.
- Place the stuffed tomatoes on to a baking sheet that was lightly greased with a bit of oil under each tomato.
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Using a good quality will make a difference.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes, until the tops are just golden, brown and crisp and the tomatoes are tender.
- Cool for a few minutes and serve warm.