Philly Cheese Steak-less Sandwich (#2101)
Sandwiches Main Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large Onions sliced
- 4 Portabello Mushrooms large size, or 8 small ones, stems removed, sliced
- 1 Sweet Red Bell Peppers large size, or green, yellow, orange
- 2 tsp Oregano dried
- 1 Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Low Salt Chicken Broth or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp Tamari Soy Sauce
- 3 1/4 oz Provolone Cheese reduced-fat, thinly sliced
- 4 Buns split and toasted, preferly whole wheat or whole grain
- Heat vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, bell pepper, oregano and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted and soft, 7 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to low, sprinkle flour on top of the vegetables and stir to coat.
- Stir in broth and soy sauce, bring to a simmer.
- Then remove the pan from the heat, lay sliced cheese on top of the vegetables, cover and let stand until melted, about 2 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions with a spatula, leaving the melted cheese layer on top.
- Place one portion onto each toasted bun.
- Serve warm.