Low-fat Vegetable Pot Pie (#2099)
Desserts Pies Main Low Fat Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Stock up to 1/2 cup, or white wine
- 1 cup Onions chopped
- 1 cup Celery thinly sliced
- 1 cup Sweet Red Bell Peppers diced
- 1 cup Mushrooms white, or crimini, sliced
- 2/3 cup Carrots thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup Green Beans sliced, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup Peas, Frozen or fresh
- 1/3 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Skim Milk or soy milk
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 tablespoons Parsley Leaves freshly chopped
- 1 tsp Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce or salt
- 1/2 tsp Thyme dried, or 2 teaspoons freshly chopped
- 1/4 tsp Sage dried, or 1 teaspoon freshly chopped
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper or to taste
For The Biscuits Crust
- 1 3/4 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or white flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons Butter or olive oil
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk or soy milk
- Grease an 8-inch casserole dish with vegetable cooking spray or butter.
- Preheat oven to 400° f (200° c) degrees.
- In heavy saucepan, heat wine or stock over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in celery, bell pepper, carrot, green beans and peas. If mixture begins to dry out, add 1/4 cup more wine or vegetable stock.
- Cook, stirring often, 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle flour over vegetable mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- In glass measuring cup or a medium bowl, combine milk or soy milk and 2 cups vegetable stock.
- Slowly add to vegetable mixture while whisking constantly.
- Sauce will start to thicken.
- Stir in parsley, salt or soy sauce, thyme, sage, pepper and cayenne. Cook, stirring constantly, until filling is thickened.
- Remove from heat, transfer mixture to prepared casserole and set aside.
- For the biscuit topping:
- In large bowl, combine together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal, or stir in olive oil
- In measuring cup or a small bowl, combine buttermilk or soy milk and honey.
- Mix liquid to flour mixture, stirring with a fork to form a stiff dough.
- Stir in more buttermilk if dough is too dry. Knead lightly in bowl, about 4 minutes, until dough is no longer sticky.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
- Roll out into shape to cover casserole dish or cut into wedges.
- Lay biscuit topping lightly over filling.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy.