Vegetarian Italian Sausage (Seitan) (#2069)
Italian Pork Sausage Main Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 3/4 cups Gluten Flour vital wheat gluten
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds crushed
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 2 tablespoons Garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (feel free to leave out if you don't like it spicy)
- 1 Salt
- 1 Black Pepper a few dashes
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- Set large steaming pan on to boil, or get an electric steamer going.
- In a large bowl, measure 1/2 cup tvp. Add 1/2 cup hot water, stir, and let sit for a couple minutes.
- After it rests, stir in the other cup water, olive oil, tomato paste, "chicken" broth powder and nutritional yeast. Then add all of the spices. After everything is mixed, stir in the vital wheat gluten. Mix until everything pulls into a big spongy mass. Knead a bit more, like bread dough and then let rest for a few minutes.
- Place "meat" on a cutting board. Evenly cut into 8 pieces. Roll into log shapes and wrap each one, tootsie roll style, in foil. Place in steamer and steam for 45 minutes. When finished, unwrap and enjoy! Cut up and put in spaghetti, or spaghetti squash casserole, or cover with pepper and onions and eat on a hot dog bun.