Grilled Tomatillo Shrimp (#2068)
Grill/BBQ Fish Seafood Grill/BBQ
Share This Recipe
- 5 Tomatillos
- 1 Avocados
- 1 Green Tomatoes cored, quartered
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper seeded
- 1 Cilantro sprigs
- 1 Salt
- 6 Mesquite Wood Chips
- 1/4 cup Safflower Oil
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice fresh
- 1 pound Shrimp large
- For green salsa:
- Husk, core and quarter tomatillos.
- Peel, pit and cut avocado into 1-inch pieces.
- Finely chop tomatillos, tomato and garlic in processor, using on/off turns.
- Transfer to heavy medium saucepan.
- Simmer until beginning to soften, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Pour mixture into blender. Add avocado, chili, cilantro & salt.
- Blend until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of blender, about 3 minutes.
- (can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated.)
- Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
- Soak mesquite chips just covered in water for 30 minutes and drain.
- Prepare barbecue grill with white-hot coals (or set gas grill on high).
- For marinade:
- Combine oil, butter, chili powder and lemon juice in small saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until butter melts.
- Cool marinade slightly.
- Peel shrimp (leave tail on) and devein.
- Place in non aluminum bowl.
- Add marinade, mixing to coat.
- Marinate 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Oil barbecue rack.
- Add mesquite to coals. Thread shrimp on skewers.
- Grill until shrimp turn opaque, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
- Serve with green salsa.
- Tomatillos are available at latin american markets.