Irish Shepherd's Pie (#2039)
Casseroles Irish Beef
Share This Recipe
- 2 pounds Lean Ground Beef
- 1 cup Onions diced
- 1 cup Carrots diced
- 1 cup Celery diced
- 1 1/2 cups Corn fresh or frozen
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Salt to taste
- 1 Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 8 oz Beef Stock
- 2 tablespoons Butter mixed with 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 pounds Potatoes cooked and mashed
- 1 Butter
- Cook ground beef in frying pan until brown.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Lower heat and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are wilted.
- Add beef broth, bring to a boil.
- Stir in enough of the butter/flour roux to make a thick gravy to bind the filling.
- Pour into large shallow baking pan and cool.
- The filling should be about 1 1/2 inches deep.
- Cover the meat mixture in the pan with the corn and then top with the hot mashed potatoes.
- Smooth potatoes evenly, brush surface with butter.
- Bake at 325° f (160° c) for 35 to 40 minutes.