Moussaka I (#2033)
Share This Recipe
- 4 Eggplant medium size
- 1 Salt
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 2 pounds Ground Beef
- 3 Onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup Parsley Leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1 Black Pepper
- 1 dash Cinnamon
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Cheese grated
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 6 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Milk hot
- 1 dash Nutmeg
- 4 large Egg Yolks lightly beaten
- 1 Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cheese grated
- Remove 1/2-inch-wide strips of peel lengthwise from eggplants, leaving 1/2-inch peel between the strips.
- Cut into thick slices, sprinkle with salt, and let stand between two heavy plates while browning meat and making sauce.
- In frying pan melt the 4 tablespoons butter and in it sauté meat and onions until meat is browned.
- Add tomato paste, parsley, wine, salt and pepper, and water.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in cinnamon, eggs, cheese and half the bread crumbs.
- Make sauce: In saucepan melt the 6 tablespoons butter over low heat.
- Add flour and stir until well blended. Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring, until sauce is thick and smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and the nutmeg.
- Combine egg yolks with a little of the hot sauce, then stir egg mixture into sauce and cook over very low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Brown eggplant slices on both sides in hot oil.
- Grease an ovenproof casserole and sprinkle bottom with remaining bread crumbs.
- Cover with layer of eggplant slices, then a layer of meat, and continue until all eggplant and meat is used, finishing with a layer of eggplant.
- Cover with sauce, sprinkle with grated cheese, and bake in a 350-degree oven for 1 hour.
- Serve hot.