Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding Cake (#2012)
Cakes Desserts Jamaican
Share This Recipe
- 1 cup Golden Raisins or other kind
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Dark Rum
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or you can use white flour
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes, Or Yams or 3 small, 1 pound, cooked(put sweet potato on a rimmed cooking sheet, bake in 350 F oven for 50 minutes) and peeled
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 large Egg Whites
- 14 oz Coconut Milk prefer low fat
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar packed, or more to 1 cup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Butter melted
For The Topping
- 1/2 cup Coconut, Shredded, Unsweetened (Desiccated)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Brown Sugar packed
- 1 pinch Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° f (180° c).
- For the cake:
- Grease well a 9-inch spring form pan, or you can use cooking spray.
- Combine raisins and rum in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix well flour, nutmeg and salt in another medium bowl.
- You can freeze the cake for up to 2 weeks.
- Mash cooked sweet potato in a large bowl.
- Put in eggs, mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined.
- Put in coconut milk, 1 cup brown sugar and butter, mix until combined.
- Put in the dry ingredients until evenly moistened.
- Put in the raisins and remaining rum in the small bowl.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan, the batter should be very moist and liquid.
- For the topping:
- Combine coconut, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Sprinkle coconut mixture on top of the pudding cake.
- Bake the cake until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 70 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Use a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring.
- Let cool at room temperature on a wire rack, gently remove the bottom of the spring form pan, for 2 hours or more, until cool completely.
- Put into the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.