Blueberry, Banana and Apple Oatmeal Muffins (#1994)
Breads Muffins Breakfast Low Fat Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 1 cup Quick Cooking Oats
- 1 cup 1% Milk
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Ground Flax Seed or wheat germ
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Allspice ground
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 Bananas very ripe and mashed, about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup Light Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Applesauce
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 Apples cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350f, coat 24 muffin cups with the cooking spray, grease with butter or line with paper cups. Alternatively you can use 12 muffin cups and 1 loaf pan.
- Soak the oatmeal in the milk for 25 minutes.
- Then add the soaked oatmeal and milk mixture, sugar, egg whites, bananas, sour cream and vanilla into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir until well mixed.
- In a medium bowl, add the flours, flax seed, baking soda, baking powder and spices, mix until well combined..
- Add the dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Fold in blueberries and apple.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between 24 muffin cups or 1 muffins cups and 1 loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, until a wooden stick inserted into the center comes out almost clean.
- Note: Because there are berries and apples in the muffins, so the stick may have some moisture on it, which doesn't mean the muffins are not done.
- Cool the muffins or bread in the pan on a wire rack for about 10 minutes, transfer them onto the wire rack to cool completely; if the bottom still seem too sticky, let cool in the pan longer.
- Store in an air-tight container, and they can be frozen very well for up to 2 months.