Stir-Fried Chicken (#1955)
Stir Fries Chinese Chicken Poultry
Share This Recipe
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts boneless and skinless
- 2 cloves Garlic minced, optional
- 1 tsp Ginger freshly minced, optional
- 12 Mushrooms
- 1/2 pound Frozen Broccoli or fresh
- 1/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 tablespoons Tamari Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sherry
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Egg Whites
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil peanut oil or sunflower oil, divided, or more as needed
- 6 oz Bamboo Shoots canned (optional)
- 6 oz Cashew Nuts broken into large pieces, optional, or peanuts
- Cut the boneless chicken breast into bite-sized pieces. Wash and slice the mushrooms.
- If using fresh broccoli, wash and cut it up into bite-sized pieces. If using frozen broccoli, heat it or partially thaw it first.
- Combine chicken broth, soy sauce, sherry and about 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Stir well and set aside.
- Combine beaten egg white, salt, about 1/2 teaspoon oil and about 2 teaspoons cornstarch.
- Add the chicken cubes to the mixture and stir until the chicken is well coated.
- In a wok or deep cast iron pan, heat about 3 tablespoons vegetable oil until hot.
- Add the chicken pieces in small batches and stir continuously until golden brown.
- After each batch is finished, remove and drain. Add oil sparingly as needed.
- Stir fry the mushrooms with garlic and ginger if using in the wok for a few minutes or until the mushrooms start to become brown.
- Stir in the broccoli, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken, bamboo shoots and cashew nuts if using in the wok with mushrooms and brocoli.
- Stir fry to get everything warm again. Add the bouillon-cornstarch sauce, cook and stir until thickened.
- Serve with rice. Don't forget to start the rice so that it will be done at the same time as the chicken.
- Bamboo shoots are available in cans at chinese grocery stores.
- Fresh broccoli is preferable to frozen, and it should be stir-fried for only a few minutes to keep it crunchy.
- Endless variations of this basic recipe are possible. Beef, pork, or other lean meats can be substituted for the chicken. Tofu cubes or brown beans can be used to make this a vegetarian recipe.
- Chopped almonds can be used instead of cashews.
- Water chestnuts are a delightful addition.
- Green or red bell peppers can be used instead of broccoli.