Butternut Squash and Parmesan Custard Bread Pudding (#1914)
Breads Desserts Puddings Christmas Holidays Main Side Low Fat Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 3 cups Butternut Squash peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Nonstick Cooking Spray
- 1/2 tsp Salt divided
- 1 1/4 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/4 cups Onions chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 cups 1% Milk
- 4 oz Parmesan Cheese 1 cup, divided
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper or to taste
- 1 pinch Nutmeg ground
- 3 large Eggs
- 2 large Egg Whites
- 8 oz Bread day-old, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 9 cups) and prefer whole wheat
- Preheat oven to 400° f (200° c).
- Place squash in a single layer on a baking sheet or baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste.
- Bake at 400° f (200° c) for 11 to 13 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven, reduce oven temperature to 350° f (180° c).
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in onion, sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat, let cool slightly.
- Whisk together remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, milk, 1/2 cup cheese, pepper, nutmeg, eggs and egg whites in a large bowl.
- Add squash and onion mixture.
- Add bread, and stir gently to combine. Allow to stand for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray or greased with butter.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350° f (180° c) for 45 minutes, or until pudding is set and lightly browned.
- Cool for a few minutes and serve warm.