Leeks in Olive Oil (#1877)
Share This Recipe
- 2 pounds Leeks
- 1/3 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Carrots small, halved & sliced
- 2 tablespoons Rice uncooked
- 1 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Lemon juice of half lemon
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- Trim leeks.
- Remove a few of the outer layers. Slice 3/4 inch thick, discard tough green leaves.
- Wash well in several changes of water.
- In a heavy skillet, heat olive oil.
- Stir in leeks and carrots.
- Cover and cook very gently for 30 minutes, shaking the skillet occasionally.
- Blend in the remaining ingredients in order.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, checking the liquid.
- Add more water if necessary. When fully cooked, it should be very moist but not watery.
- Serve cold with lemon juice.
- Serve as part of a buffet including other vegetable dishes.