Soy Mozzarella and Broccoli Rabe Panni (#1871)
Sandwiches Main Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 1/2 pound Rapini (Broccoli Rabe) tough ends discarded
- 2 Shallots chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 slice Bread (8-to-9-inch) sliced (1/4 inch thick) fine-quality round italian loaf
- 1/3 pound Mozzarella Cheese sliced
- Cook broccoli rabe in a 4-quart pot of boiling salted water. (pinch of sea salt) uncovered, until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain well in a colander, then chop.
- Cook shallots and garlic in 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until garlic just begins to turn golden, about 1 minute. Add broccoli rabe and cook, stirring 1 minute.
- If using panini or sandwich press according to manufacturer's instructions until hot. (alternatively, heat a well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderate heat.) brush 4 center slices of bread on 1 side with remaining l l/2 tablespoons oil. (reserve remainder of loaf for another use.) put slices, oiled sides down, on a work surface, then divide half of cheese between 2 slices. Top with all of broccoli rabe mixture, remaining cheese, and remaining 2 bread slices, oiled sides up.
- Put sandwiches on press, then pull down top onto sandwiches and cook until sandwiches are browned and crisp, 4 to 8 minutes. (is using grill pan put a heavy pan on top of sandwiches and cook, turning sandwiches over once.
- Serve hot and steaming!! great!!!