Ananda's Palak Paneer (#1854)
Curries Indian Main Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 1/2 pound Paneer pressed fresh cheese (similar to ricotta)
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper or to taste
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Root minced into a paste
- 4 Green Chili Peppers fresh or red dried
- 2 medium Tomatoes fresh or canned, pureéd
- 1/2 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1 pound Spinach fresh or frozen
- 1 Tomatoes for garnish
- 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
- Cut the paneer into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry the paneer quickly until very lightly browned on all sides.
- Remove to paper towelling and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet, heating over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is quite hot add the cumin seed and cook until they sputter, about 30 seconds.
- Add the turmeric, cayenne pepper, hot chilies and ginger. Cook for another 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add the puréed tomatoes and cook until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh chopped or thawed frozen spinach. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- If you notice too much liquid from the spinach you may wish to add some of the flour/water mixture as needed to help bind and thicken things together. Simmer for two minutes.
- Add the yogurt and salt.
- Allow to simmer for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return the paneer to the pan, mix and let cook for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with tomatoes, serve with basmati rice and naan or roti.