Homemade Sweet Appetizer (#1848)
Share This Recipe
For The Dough
- 100 grams All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt or to taste
- 25 grams Butter chilled
- 1/2 large Egg Yolks beaten
- 50 ml Water cooled
For The Filling
- 200 grams Shredded Desiccated Coconut
- 100 ml Coconut pani/treacle
- 1/4 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Sugar
- First, make the dough: Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add salt. Mix. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Next add approximately 1/2 of the beaten egg yolk and the water. Mix well using your hands. Try to work quickly.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 10 -15 minutes.
- Put your desiccated coconut in a heatproof bowl. Set aside for a moment.
- Next, in a thick bottomed pan, put coconut pani, cinnamon and sugar and bring to boil (you need it to be around 100c degrees so use a thermometer). Then add the hot pani mixture to the desiccated coconut and mix well. Let cool.
- Now take the dough and roll out into a large square that is about 1/8 inch thick, using a rolling pin. Cut it into 8 squares (3×3 inch) using a sharp knife. If you want to decorate the tops of the appetizers with extra pieces of dough, you can make the squares just a bit smaller and save the extra dough for use in a few minutes.
- Now place one teaspoon of filling mixture in the center of each square of dough.
- Brush the edges of each square with the remaining 1/2 of the beaten egg yolk or you can use water. Fold the bottom half of the dough over to meet the edges of the top half (you are making a triangle). Use a fork to seal the edges.
- After that, you can decorate the pastry with small flowers or whatever is your preferred shape.
- I’ve done this in the photo above – you can use scraps of the dough and cut out small flowers (using a small flower cookie cutter or a knife) and then place the flowers on the tops of the appetizers.
- Next place appetizers on greased baking tray, and take the remaining 1/2 of the beaten egg and brush over the tops.
- Bake at 200 cup for 20 minutes or until golden brown.