Sauteed Mushroom and Layered Mashed Potato Casserole (#1841)
Casseroles Christmas Holidays Side Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 3 1/2 pounds Potatoes preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds Mushrooms such as crimini, white or any kind
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1 large Eggs beaten
- 1 large Egg Whites beaten
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 cup Shallots chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic finely chopped or minced
- 4 1/2 cups Swiss Chard trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup Beef Stock or vegetable broth, mushroom broth, chicken broth, preferly low-salt
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Black Pepper freshly ground to taste
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary Leaves freshly chopped, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese divided
- Bring 1 1/4 es water to a simmer in a large pot.
- Place potatoes in a steamer basket, cover and steam over medium or medium-low heat, replenishing the water as necessary, until the potatoes are fall-apart tender, 20 to 30 minutes(or you can use steamer).
- At the same time, put mushrooms in a food processor and pulse, working in two batches and stopping to scrape down the sides as needed, until the mushrooms are coarsely chopped(or you can use knife to chop).
- Then transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Add butter and use a folk to mash until chunky smooth.
- Slowly stir in buttermilk, egg and egg white and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix well.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots, garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and starting to be soft, about 1 minute.
- Then add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms release their liquid and the pan is almost dry, about 12 minutes.
- Add swiss chard and go on cooking, stirring, until wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Whisk broth and flour in a small bowl.
- Add to the pan along with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper to taste and rosemary.
- Cook, stirring, until the mixture bubbles and thickens, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°f.
- To assemble, spread half of the mashed potatoes in an even layer in a 9-by-13-inch (or 3-quart) baking dish.
- Sprinkle half the parmesan over the potatoes.
- Spread the mushroom mixture on top and spread the remaining potatoes over the mushroom layer.
- Top with the remaining parmesan.
- Bake until hot throughout and the top is golden brown, about 35 minutes or more.
- Cool lightly and serve warm.