Kielbasa-Mustard Macaroni and Cheese (#1832)
Pastas American Main
Share This Recipe
- 3 slices Bread sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter cut into pieces
Mac And Cheese
- 8 oz Elbow Macaroni
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 small Yellow Onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Whole-Grain Mustard
- 4 oz Sausage kielbasa , cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 cups Milk
- 4 oz Mozzarella Cheese 1 cup
- 4 oz Cheddar Cheese 1 cup
- To make the topping:
- Add the bread and butter into a food processer, process until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- To make the mac and cheese:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, cook until the macaroni becomes tender.
- Drain well in the colander and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat until butter is foaming.
- Add the onion, stirring often, and cook until the onions start to brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour, and cook until the color of the mixture is very dark and smells very fragrant.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, then bring the mixture to a full boil to thick up, whisking constantly to ensure a smooth sauce.
- Place the oven rack to lower-middle postion and preheat the broiler.
- Reduce the heat to medium or medium low and maintain a gentle simmer, whisking often, until the sauce has thickened like heavy cream, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the sausages, whole grain mustard, cheeses and up to 1/2 teaspoon of salt or to taste (we omit the salt), whisking constantly until the cheeses are completely melted.
- Return the macaroni to the pot with the sauce, and simmer for another 5 to 8 minutes until heated through or desired thickness is reached.
- Spoon the mixture to a broiler-safe 8 by 8-inch or similar capacity casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly on top.
- Broil until the bread crumbs become deep golden and brown, about 4 minutes.
- Rotate the baking dish half way through to ensure the topping is evenly browned.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for a few minutes.
- Serve warm.