Pinky's Cream of Broccoli Soup (#1821)
Share This Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 large Onions chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 2 large Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds Broccoli Florets
- 1 quart Chicken Broth
- 1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes optional to taste
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 1 cup Light Cream (Half&Half) or cut with milk to reduce fat
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter until the onions become transparent.
- Add the chopped potatoes, broccoli, broth, salt, pepper and red pepper.
- Heat to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Carefully, transfer the mixture (about 1/3 at a time) into the blender and pulse six or seven times for each batch. Use a dish towel to hold the top of the blender to prevent hot liquid from hitting the ceiling!
- Place the blended soup into a crockpot or slow cooker and add cream and a pinch of nutmeg. You can reduce the fat by substituting milk for the cream or using just a touch of cream with some milk.
- Heat on low for another half hour and then let sit until dinner.
- Taste for seasoning; garnish and serve warm, not hot.
- This is also good as a cold soup.
- This is a great soup.