Great Latin Quinoa (#1819)
Side Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 tsp Canola Oil
- 1 Onions chopped, medium size
- 4 oz Canned Green Chili Peppers 1 can, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced, more or less to taste
- 14 oz Low Salt Chicken Broth or vegetable broth, 1 can
- 1/4 cup Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds) toasted, or sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup Cilantro freshly chopped
- 3/4 cup Scallions, Spring Or Green Onions freshly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Toast quinoa in a large dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until it crackles and becomes aromatic, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly.
- Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add green chiles and garlic, cook, stirring, for 40 seconds.
- Add the rinsed quinoa and chicken broth(or vegetable broth); bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain a light simmer, then cover and cook until the quinoa is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Add pumpkin seeds(or sunflower seeds), cilantro, scallions, lime juice and salt to the quinoa.
- Mix them gently and fluff with a fork.
- Serve warm.