Easter Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting (#1818)
Cakes Chocolate Desserts Easter Holidays
Share This Recipe
- 3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 large Eggs
- 3 tsp Vanilla Extract divided
- 1 cup Brown Sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 oz Chocolate (Semi-Sweet) or chocolate chips, melted
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/3 cups Cocoa Powder unsweetened, divided
- 1 Tbsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Water warm, or milk
- 1 1/4 cups Sour Cream divided
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 4 tablespoons Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Grease and flour two 8-inch baking pans with butter and flour, set aside.
- Add vegetable oil, egg, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract in a large bowl with an electric mixer.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Beat in both brown sugar and sugar, scraping bowl as necessary, until well blended, another 1 minute.
- Beat in the melted chocolate, scraping bowl once a while, until well blended, 1 minute or more.
- Sift together flour, 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Transfer the flour mixture into chocolate mixture alternately with warm water or milk, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in 1 cup sour cream until well blended.
- Pour into prepared cake pans and bake until a wooden stick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer cakes onto the wire rack and let cool in the pan for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pans and allow to cool on the wire rack completely.
- To make the chocolate sour cream frosting:
- As the cake is cooling, meanwhile place 1/2 cup softened butter in a large bowl with electric mixer.
- Beat at high speed until creamy and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in remaining 2/3 cup cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon vanilla, scraping bowl as needed, until mixture becomes creamy and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour in the milk and 1/4 cup sour cream, keep beating, scraping bowl as necessary, until creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange one cake, flat side up, on the bottom of a serving plate.
- Put about 1 cup frosting in the center of the cake.
- Spread evenly to about 1/2-inch from the edge of the cake.
- Set the second cake carefully, flat side up, on top of the frosted first layer.
- Frost the remaining frosting on sides and top of cake.
- Garnish if needed, you can add some fresh berries on top, or any your favorite fruits; or you can use some easter candies to decorate the cake into a easter chocolate cake; or using some pastry bags to give some nice dots around the edges or in the center.
- Be creative, of course jut eat it directly without any decoration, it's already delicious enough to satisfy your sweet tooth :)