New York Goodwich (#1798)
Sandwiches Low Fat Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 1 cup Broccoli Florets
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower Florets optional
- 2 tablespoons Carrots finely grated
- 2 tablespoons Red Cabbage finely grated
- 2 tablespoons Yellow Summer Squash finely grated
- 1/4 cup Onions barbequed, or well cooked
- 1 Flour Tortillas, Whole Wheat chapati, or pita
- 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise, Eggless or tofu mayo, or non-fat mayo
- 3 Dill Pickles sliced into thin slivers
- 1/2 cup Lettuce finely shredded
- 1/2 cup Alfalfa Sprouts
- 2 slices Avocados optional
- 1 Sea Salt spike or salt-free seasoning (optional)
- Prepare the vegetables. Cut broccoli into thin lengths, using only florets and upper portion of stalk. Break cauliflower into tiny florets. Place broccoli and cauliflower in vegetable steamer, covered, over boiling water for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife. Combine carrot, cabbage and squash and mix thoroughly.
- Prepare the barbecued onions, if desired.
- Assemble the goodwich. In hot dry skillet, heat tortilla or chapati, turning from one side to the other until soft but not crisp. Place on large sheet of plastic wrap. If using pita, heat in oven for a few minutes to soften it, and cut a sliver from top so pocket opens easily. Combine all other ingredients; mix well, and stuff into pocket.
- Spread tortilla with eggless mayo. Add a line of broccoli down center. Crumble cauliflower and place a line of it on broccoli. Add a line of pickle, a line of grated vegetables, a line of barbecued onions. Top with lettuce, sprouts and avocado. Sprinkle with spike if desired.
- Roll tortilla tightly, crepe-style, around vegetables. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap until ready to serve.
- This goodwich will keep for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator. Cut it in half and push plastic wrap partially down, but leave one end closed to catch the drippy sauces.