Baked Polenta with Italian Sausage, Mushrooms and Three Cheeses (#1776)
Italian Pork Sausage Main
Share This Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil fruity
- 1 small Onions yellow, chopped
- 2 large Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 medium Sweet Red Bell Peppers sweet, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 pound Italian Sausage mild, casing removed
- 1/2 pound Mushrooms fresh, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups Milk broth or water
- 3/4 cup Cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp Sage Leaves chopped fresh
- 1 Tbsp Italian Parsley chopped
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper ground
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Gruyere Cheese shredded, or other swiss cheese
- 1 Salt
- 1 Black Pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 4 tablespoons Butter or margarine, melted
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 Tomato Sauce fresh
- 1 Italian Parsley fresh chopped
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet; sauté onion, garlic, and sweet pepper until hot through.
- Add crumbled sausage and continue cooking just until meat changes color.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook until hot through.
- Drain excess fat and set mixture aside.
- Place milk or other liquid in a large, heavy saucepan over moderately high heat; slowly add cornmeal, stirring briskly with a wire whisk to prevent lumping.
- Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes, or until mixture is very thick and smooth; stir constantly to prevent scorching.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in herbs, cayenne pepper, and ricotta and gruyere cheeses.
- Add sausage and sweet pepper mixture, combine well, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into two 9-inch pie plates lined with plastic wrap.
- Cool on a wire rack, then cover and refrigerate at least an hour, or as long as three days.
- When ready to serve dish, preheat oven to 375° f (190° c).
- Cut polenta in wedges and place on an oiled shallow baking pan large enough to hold polenta in one layer without crowding.
- Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until polenta is lightly browned and very hot when tested with a small knife in center of wedge.
- Serve with fresh tomato sauce, and garnish with chopped fresh parsley and sprigs of herbs.