Sichuan Stir-Fry Eggplant with Bell Peppers (#1743)
Stir Fries Asian Chinese Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 4 tablespoons Vegetable Oil divided
- 1 pound Eggplant slice into 1/2-inch thick, 3-inch long sticks
- 4 Scallions, Spring Or Green Onions thinly sliced
- 1 inch Ginger peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic or as needed, crushed or finely chopped,
- 2 small Red Chili Peppers or as needed, seeded and freshly chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Sichuan Peppercorns
- 1 Green Bell Peppers seeded and slice into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 Sweet Red Bell Peppers seeded and slice into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 Sweet Yellow Bell Peppers seeded and slice into 1/4-inch strips, or banana pepper
- 2 tablespoons Tamari Soy Sauce or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Soy Bean Paste or to taste, or miso paste
- 1 Tbsp Chinese Black Vinegar or to taste, or rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Honey or to taste, or sugar
- 2 tablespoons Vegetarian Oyster Sauce or to taste, or oyster sauce
- 3 tsp Cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons of water
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet or a wok until hot over medium-high heat.
- Add the eggplant, stirring frequently, and cook for about 10 minutes until the eggplant is tender and shriveled.
- Transfer the eggplant onto a plate.
- Meanwhile mix together the soy sauce, soy bean paste, vinegar, honey and oyster sauce in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir the cornstarch and water until well mixed. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil into the skillet or wok.
- Add the garlic, ginger, scallions and sichuan peppercorns, stirring constantly, and cook for about 1 minute until very fragrant.
- Stir in the bell peppers, and cook until tender but still crunchy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Return the eggplant to the pan, and stir to mix well.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables, stirring until evenly coated, and cook for about 1 minute until the sauce becomes slightly thick.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the pan, stirring constantly, and cook for about 30 to 40 seconds until the sauce is thick and the vegetables are well coated.
- Remove from the heat and serve with rice.