Iced Lemon Loaf (Barefoot Contessa) (#1734)
Cakes Desserts Snacks
Share This Recipe
- 1/2 pound Butter unsalted, 2 stick, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups Sugar
- 4 large Eggs extra-large, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup Lemon Zest grated, 6 to 8 large lemons
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Lemon Juice freshly squeezed, divided
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk at room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For The Glaze
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar sifted
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- Preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c) f.
- Grease and flour two 8 by 4 inch loaf pans. You can also line the bottom with parchment paper to be extra safe.
- Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and the lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- When the cakes are done, allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the pans and set them on a cooling rack; spoon the lemon syrup over them. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl, mixing until smooth.
- Pour over the tops of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.