Beet Greens with Indian Spices (#1726)
Indian Side Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Onions diced
- 2 cloves Garlic peeled and minced
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper small, seeded and minced
- 2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 1/2 pounds Beet Greens or other tender greens such as spinach or swiss chard
- 3 tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper or to taste
- Stem any woody stems from the greens. Beet greens can be stemmed by holding each leaf with your forefingers and thumb then pulling the stock up or downwards with the other hand breaking the stem off.
- Rinse the leaves in three batches of water to ensure you remove any grit. Drain and set aside allowing some of the water to remain on the leaves.
- In a large pan with high sides or a dutch oven heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot add the cumin seeds, stirring until the sizzle and pop, about 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring regularly for 3 to 4 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno pepper and curry powder. Stir and continue cooking for two minutes until fragrant. It will seem quite dry and the spices will form a film on the bottom of the pan.
- Roughly chop and add the greens (along with the water that still clings to the leaves) stir to mix well for 30 seconds then cover and simmer for 4 or 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the cover, stirring constantly until any remaining liquid evaporates.
- Add the brown sugar, mix in.
- Add the cream, stirring and simmer until thickened.
- Taste, season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with naan or pita bread to sop up the sauce.