Fresh Corn and Red Pepper Bisque (#1724)
Soups Side Low Fat Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 2 tsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Sweet Vidalia Onions
- 3 cups Corn fresh, about 6 ears
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 cups Stock vegetable or chicken, reduced-sodium
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Black Pepper freshly ground to taste
- 1/4 cup Light Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Cornmeal yellow
- 1 cup Sweet Red Bell Peppers diced, about 1 small
- 1 Scallions, Spring Or Green Onions white and pale green part, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro finely chopped
- 1 Red Hot Pepper Sauce to taste
- 1 Limes cut into wedges
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add corn and garlic; cook, stirring often, until the corn is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and simmer until the corn is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer 1 1/2 cups of the corn mixture to a blender or food processor.
- Add sour cream and 1/2 cup cooking liquid and process until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- (use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)
- Return the purée to the pan.
- Whisk in cornmeal; bring the soup to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, whisking constantly, until it thickens.
- Add bell pepper, scallion, parsley (or cilantro) and hot sauce; heat through.
- Serve with lime wedges.