Baby Vidalia Onion Pie or Tart (#1691)
Appetizers Desserts Pies Tarts Main Vegetarian
Share This Recipe
- 2 pounds Baby Vidalia Onions thinly sliced
- 2 oz Butter 1/2 stick
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 3 large Eggs well-beaten
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Red Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
Pie Or Tart Crust
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour or whole wheat pastry flour, or half white flour and half whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Thyme or oregano, or both of them
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 4 tablespoons Canola Oil or olive oil, or any vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Plain Yogurt
- To make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c) degrees.
- Coat a 9- to 10-inch tart pan or pie pan with the cooking spray or grease with butter.
- Place the flour, herbs and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor, pulse to combine.
- Add the butter one piece at a time, pulsing once or twice after each addition, until incorporated.
- Add the vegetable oil and 1/4 cup yogurt and pulse just until the dough starts to come together.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan, it will be crumbly, spread evenly and press firmly into the bottom and all the way up the sides to form a crust.
- Bake the crust until set but not browned, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling:
- Sauté onions in butter and and oil until translucent and beginning to caramelize, 20 to 30 minutes, over medium to medium low heat.
- Combine eggs and sour cream.
- Add to onion mixture.
- Season mixture and pour in pastry shell.
- Bake at 400° f (200° c) for 20 minutes, top with cheese, grated swiss cheese also works well.
- Then bake at 350° f (180° c) f for 20 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Let cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve.