Baked Red Velvet Donuts (#1669)
Share This Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour or regular all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Eggs extra large
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips (Semi-Sweet) melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp Food Coloring red, or a few dots of red paste coloring
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1 Tbsp Buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° f (180° c). Spray or grease with vegetable shortening donut pan(s).
- Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt; set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together the sugar and egg. Add the melted butter, melted chocolate, vanilla extract and buttermilk; mix well to thoroughly combine.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients in the first bowl to the wet mixture, mixing just until combined.
- With a spoon or a pastry bag, carefully fill prepared donut pan(s) with the batter, filling each opening about two-thirds full (or you could use a standard ice cream scoop, filling scant-level; dollop on each donut opening and with wet finger, open up the hole, pushing the batter to the sides evenly).
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes (donuts should spring back with touched lightly).
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Prepare icing: With a wire whisk, combine all ingredients until smooth.
- Dip the donut tops in the icing, letting excess fall back into the bowl (be careful not to let crumbs get in the icing). Let dipped donuts dry/set on rack.
- In the alternative, you could use a homemade or canned cream cheese frosting to top the donuts.