Egg and Spinach Casserole (#1628)
Share This Recipe
- 1 Vegetable Oil
- 6 Corn Tortillas (6-Inch)
- 2 Bacon slices
- 1/4 cup Onions
- 1 Garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons Margarine or butter
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 pound Spinach chopped
- 8 large Eggs hard-cooked
- 4 oz Cheese shredded
- Heat the oven to 400° f (200° c). Heat 1/8 inch of vegetable oil in an 8-inch skillet over medium heat, just until hot.
- Cook the tortillas, one at a time, in the oil until crisp, about 1 minute.
- Drain on paper towels and then cut them into small pieces.
- Cook and stir the bacon, onion, and garlic in the margarine and 1 tbls of vegetable oil, in a 10-inch skillet until the onion is tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Simmer uncovered for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach, cover and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Line the bottom of an ungreased square 8x8x2-inch pan with the tortilla chips or pieces.
- Spread the spinach mixture over them. Cut the eggs lengthwise into halves and arrange them on the spinach mixture.
- Pour the basic green sauce over the eggs; sprinkle with the cheese and bake, uncovered until the cheese is melted, abut 15 minutes.