Whole Wheat Cheesy Bacon Muffins (#1613)
Share This Recipe
- 6 slices Bacon diced
- 1/2 cup Onions chopped
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour or whole wheat pasty flour, or white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour sifted
- 1/4 cup Cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt or as needed
- 2 large Eggs beaten, large
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 tsp Olive Oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Fry the bacon in a 10-inch skillet, over medium heat, for 5 minutes or until the bacon is crisp.
- Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Wipe the pan clean with paper towel, cook the onions with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil for a about 5 minutes or until the onions are tender and partially browned.
- Sift the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, corn meal, baking powder and salt into a bowl, and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and oil until well blended.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened and incorporated.
- Stir in the bacon pieces and browned onion, and cheese until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into greased 3-inch muffin-pan cups, filling each 2/3 full.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree f oven for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool, until cold to the touch, wrap in foil and store in the freezer, or serve while still warm.
- To reheat: Heat the foil-wrapped muffins in a preheated 350 degree f oven for 10 to 12 minutes.