Denver Chocolate Pudding Cake (Healthier Version) (#1609)
Cakes Chocolate Desserts Puddings
Share This Recipe
- 4 oz Chocolate Chips (Semi-Sweet) 2/3 cup
- 1/4 cup Butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil or grape seed oil
- 1 cup Sugar granulated
- 2/3 cup Whole Wheat Flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar packed
- 3 tablespoons Cocoa Powder rounded
- 1/2 Tbsp Instant Coffee powder
- 1 1/2 cups Water boiling
- Position a rack in the middle of an oven ; preheat the oven to 350° f (180° c).
- Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Place the chocolate chips in a small heatproof bowl or the top pan of a double boiler.
- Set over a pan of gently simmering water but not touching the water.
- Stir until melted and smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Combine the butter and half of the granulated sugar in a bowl.
- Using a whisk or an electric mixer set on high speed, beat until light and fluffy, 7 to 8 minutes with the whisk or 4 to 5 minutes with the mixer.
- Add the olive oil, and beat until well combined.
- Sift together the flours, baking powder and salt onto the butter mixture and then add the milk.
- Stir with the whisk or the mixer on low speed until well mixed.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the melted chocolate and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan. In the same bowl (no need to wash it if you have scraped it clean), stir together the remaining granulated sugar, the brown sugar, cocoa and coffee powder until well mixed.
- Sprinkle over the batter in the pan.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla to the boiling water and pour slowly over the batter so as not to disturb it too much.
- Bake until the top is firm, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let cool slightly on a wire rack and serve warm.
- To serve, cut into squares. Spoon some of the sauce from the pan bottom over each serving.