Korean Cucumber Kimchi (#1586)
Korean Side Vegetarian Healthy
Share This Recipe
- 2 large English Cucumber cut into 2 to 2 1/2-inch log
- 3 tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 3 cups Water
- 1/2 Pears ripe and firm, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 Apples peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 Carrots peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 Onions thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Scallions, Spring Or Green Onions cut into 2-inch pieces, or Asian chives
- 1 small Onions diced
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Ginger peeled and minced
- 1/4 Apples, Red Delicious or fuji, gala
- 1/4 cup Cooked Rice
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Chili Pepper Flakes korean style
- 1 Tbsp Honey or sugar
- In a large saucepan, add water, salt and bring to a rolling boil.
- Meanwhile cut each log of cucumber into a cross from the top all the way to about 1/2-inch of the bottom, which means do not cut the log all the way through.
- Add all the cucumber logs into a large bowl.
- Pour the salted boiling water to cover the cucumbers in the bowl, and allow to sit for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile make the spice paste and filling:
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, apple, rice and water in a food processor or a blender.
- Purée until smooth.
- Transfer the purée into a bowl and stir in the chili flakes and honey until well mixed.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add apple, pear, sliced onions and scallions, pour the spice paste over, toss and massage until mixture is well combined. Set aside.
- To make the cucumber kimchi:
- After 1 hour, drain the cucumbers and rinse with cold and running water twice.
- Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Open up the cucumber log gently, stuff about 2 tablespoons of prepared filling into each log, pushing toward the bottom, but don't break it.
- Rub the skin of cucumber with the spices as well.
- Place the stuffed and rubbed cucumber logs into a air-tight container. Well seal it.
- Allow to sit at the room temperature for 1 day.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to months.